Marnhull Ramblers and Shorts are a social walking groups who meet twice a month for a circular walk and pub lunch. The two walks are:
A shorter walk of around 4 km on the second Thursday of the month, generally meeting at 10.45 am for an 11 am start. The walks start is within a 20 minute or so driving distance of Marnhull. Ann and John Dowsett run this group and they are called the Marnhull Shorts.
A longer walk of around 8 – 9 km on the last Thursday of the month, generally meeting at 9.30 am for a 10 am start. These walks are usually within a 40 minute drive of Marnhull. Elaine Spencer-White runs this group known as the Marnhull Ramblers.
We maintain an email distribution list which is common for both walks, so everyone gets to know about all the walking opportunities. The details of the walks are emailed just before the start of each month and posters are put up at the village stores in Marnhull and the Recreation Ground notice board for those without email.
For more information contact Elaine Spencer-White on 01258 821631 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Marnhull Short
Thursday 9th January at 10.45 for 11.00 start
Meeting at The Band Stage, Pageant Gardens, Sherborne, DT9 3NP. Lunch is at the Digby Tap www.digbytap.co.uk. The nearest car park is Culverhayes,, DT9 3ED or 2 hours free on street parking in Digby Road.
A town walk, but with a cut through the Purlieu Meadow, which might be a bit claggy, overall about 3 km, no stiles, some kissing gates. The route will take in The Steam Waterwheel, www.sswc.co.uk, Sherborne School www.sherborne.org and Sherborne Abbey www.sherborneabbey.com.
Dogs are welcome, but will need to be on a lead for most of the walk and they are not allowed in the Pageant Gardens.
Next Marnhull Ramble
Thursday 3oth January 2020 at 9.30 am for a 10 am start.
Meeting at ‘TBD Shortly!
This ramble is TBD over varied terrain.
Dogs are welcome on this ramble, BUT they must be kept under close control according to the Countryside Code. During the breeding season (1 March to 31 July) this means staying on the Right of Way/Footpath and walking to heel. Don’t forget bags for cleaning up after them too!
John Dowsett 821534 will lead the walk and should be contacted on in case of bad weather cancellation.
In case of cancellation
- The decision to cancel a walk will rest with that walk’s leader who will have regard to the weather and the walk’s terrain.
- If a walk is cancelled the leader should contact me & I will try to send out a notification email to the usual group – however this may be decided as late as the evening beforehand.
- If anyone is in doubt whether the walk will take place, prior to or early (before 9.00am ) on the walk morning – please give the walk’s leader a phone call to check.
- The leaders phone number will be included on the posters, and also on email notices.
- The leader will be responsible for informing the chosen pub.